JOIN US THURSDAY
NIGHTS (on hold)
International Trombone Festival – University of Iowa
ow what a GREAT weekend. The Voxman Center is all it was advertised, and MORE. Such a beautiful facility at the University of Iowa.. in 2018
Over the course of 4 days there were over 150 performances, presentations, clinics and master classes. Walking around the facility you’d run into trombone legends as well as current day “super stars”.
- The incredible number of performers from the State of Georgia, including Nathan Zgonc, Brian Hecht, George Curran, Dr. Josh Bynum, Dr. Bill Mann, Dr, Brad Palmer, the Atlanta Trombone Ensemble, just to name a few.
- The stellar Southeast Trombone Symposium “Professors Choir” on the opening night. Directed by Brad Palmer from Columbus State, this group was made up of 28 truly world class trombonists from some of the major symphonies across the country as well as trombone professors from California to New England.
- The American Trombone Quartet with Dr. Bill Mann from Georgia State University
- Saturday afternoon concert that featured the Cramer Choir (again, made up of college professors)
- The closing concert with Zoltan Kiss (from Mnozil Brass) with the “Hungarian Trombone Connection“. These guys were all off the chain good.
Each night, at “The Mill”, there was “Late Night Jazz” featuring many of the contest winners lighting it up. For me, the highlight was hearing trombone legend John Fedchock on Friday night showing how the “pros” get it done.
9 AM Panel Discussion – with our own conductor, Gil Estes
Atlanta Trombone Ensemble and Rose City
Friday was a busy day. The 9am panel discussion was well attended with a lot of great information shared. I have had over a dozen requests for more information on how we do things with the Atlanta Trombone Ensemble.
On the 3pm concert, you all played so well and the ensemble was so responsive. The stage was a bit more live than we expected, but by all reports from those in attendance, it was great. More pictures and video coming in the next few weeks.
“The Atlanta Trombone Ensemble Traveled To Rochester, NY To Perform As Part Of The 2014 International Trombone Festival Held At The Prestigiuos Eastman School Of Music. The Session, “Benefits And Possibilities Of The Community Level Trombone Choir,” Was Well Attended And Well Received.”